RE: Changes to SFTP v6: change in acl present flag

VMS only has a single access control list per file that contains both discretionary access control entries and audit / alarm entries.

The explanation that Windows NT has two ACLs per file helps in explaining the motive for the change. I can understand how the change could improve efficiency in a pure Windows NT environment.  In a mixed environment I think that it is a wash.

-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph Galbraith [mailto:galb-list%vandyke.com@localhost]
Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 10:29 AM
To: Richard Whalen
Cc: ietf-ssh%NetBSD.org@localhost
Subject: Re: Changes to SFTP v6: change in acl present flag

Richard Whalen wrote:
> I have not implemented SFTP v6 style attributes yet, but I
 > don't understand why audit and alarm ACEs are being considered
 > differently from access ACEs when setting the acl-present
 > flag.

Well, at least under NT, they are maintained in a different
list-- normal ACLs are in the discretionary access control
list; audit / alarm ACEs are in the system access control
list...

Leading to the ability to have no Discretionary access control
list but still have audit / alarm entries.

So... I'm hoping to be able to implement this in a way
that can talk w/ other NT based servers correctly...

I didn't think VMS did this... it sounds like I was right?

Thanks,

Joseph