Re: Other Socket Tunnels (Was: New draft Possibilities)

On Wednesday, August 31, 2005 10:00:07 -0700 Sara Golemon <ietf-secsh%libssh2.org@localhost> wrote:

I was just wondering if there has ever been any
thought put to making a draft of a UDP tunnel like the
TCP forwarding function.

I was tossing this idea along with unix domain sockets/windows named
pipes and thought it might make more sense to define a generic "socket
tunnel" session or subsystem.  Something like:

I think something along these lines is a good idea.

If you want to support forwarding in the reverse direction, you also need a generalized request for the server to listen on whatever sort of resource, and forward the connection back.

  bool      datagram    (Never seen a use for AF_UNIX/SOCK_DGRAM
personally but it is possible...)

I'm pretty sure I have; I just can't remember what offhand.

-- Jeffrey T. Hutzelman (N3NHS) <jhutz+%cmu.edu@localhost>
  Sr. Research Systems Programmer