keyboard-interactive auth

I'm trying to implement keyboard-interactive authentication, and I
think maybe I've got something written, but when I try to use it
against openssh, I see the exchange go

<<< confirmation of ssh-userauth starting
>>> request mouse/ssh-connection/none
<<< failure, can-continue publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
>>> request mouse/ssh-connection/keyboard-interactive
<<< failure, can-continue publickey,password,keyboard-interactive

This makes no sense to me; I'm not even sure how to interpret it,
besides "server too confused to do keyboard-interactive for this user".

Anyone know what's up with it?

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse%rodents.montreal.qc.ca@localhost