Re: Who's at fault here?

>>> The thing is, the implementation I'm talking to (which is bannering
>>> as "SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_3.4 NetBSD_Secure_Shell-20020626") is logging
>>> "Received window adjust for non-open channel 0." in response to
>>> this.
>> This sort of thing can happen with "window-change" channel requests
>> received before the shell/exec/subsystem channel requests on the
>> same channel.

That was my own conclusion after some grubbing around in the OpenSSH
source code (modulo the exact wording; see below).  Looking at my debug
traces, that sure seems to be exactly what's happening, and looking
over my code, I can see how and when it happens.

> But it shouldn't, should it?

> My reading of the draft has always been it is legal to send a window
> adjust any time the channel is open.

That's my reading too, which is why I suspected this of being a bug in
OpenSSH rather than in my code.

> Wait... did you say "window-change" ?  As in the size of the screen
> changed message.

I can't attribute that to anything but a mistake by Nicolas.  There are
no "window-change" SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_REQUEST messages involved in the
cases I've looked at; SSH_MSG_CHANNEL_WINDOW_ADJUST messages are what I
was talking about.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse%rodents.montreal.qc.ca@localhost