Re: presence of authority was Re: SFTP URI issues

<inline>
Tom Petch
----- Original Message -----
From: "Salowey, Joe" <jsalowey%cisco.com@localhost>
To: "Tom Petch" <nwnetworks%dial.pipex.com@localhost>; <ietf-ssh%NetBSD.org@localhost>
Sent: Friday, January 06, 2006 2:29 AM
Subject: RE: presence of authority was Re: SFTP URI issues

Thanks for catching this.  In the SSH URI an authority should always be
required, but the path should be empty (or perhaps ignored if it is
there). So I think that the hier-part should be:

hier-part = "//" authority ["/"]

For SFTP I would think that an authority would always be required as
well but the path could be there or empty

hier-part =  "//" authority path-abempty

Make sense?

Joe

<tom>
Not sure.  Staying with SSH for the moment, I am unclear about the trailing
["/"] and the precise semantic of empty path.  To quote URI [RFC3986]
   The scheme and path components are required, though the path may be
   empty (no characters).  When authority is present, the path must
   either be empty or begin with a slash ("/") character
So there an empty path means no characters, but path must be present:-).  Do you
use empty in the same sense, or do you regard that lone / as an empty path?  I
am still unclear quite what it is you want to convey with the ABNF and so am
uncertain whether or not the ABNF is suitable.

I think we should follow URI whenever possible, eg in its semantics of empty and
in its insistence that a path is present even if it is empty.    (I don't know
the ABNF for 'ignore a path if present' and suspect that that is better
expressed in English:-)