Re: presence of authority was Re: SFTP URI issues

<see [tom2]>
----- Original Message -----
From: "Salowey, Joe" <jsalowey%cisco.com@localhost>
To: "Tom Petch" <nwnetworks%dial.pipex.com@localhost>; <ietf-ssh%NetBSD.org@localhost>
Sent: Monday, January 09, 2006 7:09 AM
Subject: RE: presence of authority was Re: SFTP URI issues

[Joe] OK, so how about for ssh

hier-part = "//" authority path-empty

With some text in the document that states if there is a non-empty path
it MUST be ignored.

[tom2] Yes, either that or

hier-part = "//" authority path-abempty

I see the difference being a matter of how the ABNF is used.  I understand that
implementors may use ABNF as input to a syntax checker, if which case
<path-empty> would cause a syntax failure when a to-be-ignored path is present
while <path-abempty> would allow the syntax but still cause the path to be
semantically ignored.  I am fine with either.

On a related topic, I did post the URI list to check that <host> in <hier-part>
can be empty, ie a zero length string and yes, generic URI syntax does allow
that.  It is used, for example, by smb which allows
     smb://
with nothing following.

I think you said that host should be non-empty for ssh: in which case, I would
add a line to that effect eg host MUST/SHOULD be a non-empty string.

Tom Petch