Re: Stateless SFTP server and READDIR race condition.

> I guess that stateless doesn't necessarily mean reconnect on every
> request.

I don't see how it could help it, since the connection is state.

> I guess the question becomes, why would one ever want to implement a
> stateless server?  I don't know.

It greatly simiplifies many aspects of crash recovery.

>>> Also, there is a potential race condition when there are multiple
>>> READDIR calls.
>> Could you detail this?  I don't see any race condition unless there
>> are directory-modifying calls involved.
> 1. SFTP OPENDIR causes an opendir() on the server.
> 2. 1st SFTP READDIR causes 100 call to readdir().
> 3. Third party modifies directory on server in some arbitrary way.
> 4. 2nd SFTP READDIR causes at most 100 additional calls to readdir().
> Entries could be missed.

True.  But the same applies to any other way of reading a directory on
most systems, even including local ls or moral equivalent.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse%rodents.montreal.qc.ca@localhost