Re: applying AES-GCM to secure shell: proposed "tweak"

--On Thursday, April 16, 2009 09:30:30 AM -0500 Nicolas Williams <Nicolas.Williams%sun.com@localhost> wrote:

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 10:20:46AM -0400, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:
--On Thursday, April 16, 2009 09:04:35 AM -0500 Nicolas Williams
<Nicolas.Williams%sun.com@localhost> wrote:

> This is a separate issue.  Remove AEAD and you don't interop.  Add AEAD
> with my rule and you still don't interop.  To improve the situation we
> need to twist the KEXINIT abstraction a bit more (no objections from
> me): IF a non-AEAD cipher is chosen AND there was no common MAC AND
> there was a common AEAD cipher THEN re-compute the cipher selection
> ignoring all non-AEAD ciphers.

Ugh.  This is starting to get complicated.

No, it's not.  I'm perfectly happy to have the problem that Niels
pointed out.

Yes, it is. The twist you describe is complicated. It's a funny special case. What's going to happen when we have another funny special case?