Re: drasft-green--secsh-ecc-08 support for certificates

--On Friday, June 19, 2009 04:56:43 PM -0500 Nicolas Williams <Nicolas.Williams%sun.com@localhost> wrote:

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 05:28:58PM -0400, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:
In particular, if you "require the use of certificates...", then at
least  for the existing ssh-rsa and ssh-dsa public key algorithms, and
for the  ECDSA algorithm specified in the present draft, you are
requiring  noncompliance with the protocol specification.

Now, this could be worked around by defining new public key algorithms
whose public key format allows the use of certificates.  Some work was
done  on this before the working group concluded, but it never went very
far due  to lack of sufficient interest to get it done.  Note that even
if such new  algorithms were to be defined, either by the IETF or by
another party, they  would likely not be as widely deployed as the
current algorithms.

+1

Perhaps more importantly, requiring the use of certificates means
requiring  a mode of operation that is inconsistent with the way people
deploy and use  SSH in real life.  Much use of SSH depends on the "leap
of faith" model to  avoid the need for pre-established PKI, and a
standard which prohibited  that mode of operation would make SSH
considerably less useful for anyone  required to comply.  I suggest
considering these issues very carefully  before introducing such a
requirement.

Oh come on Jeff!  This, from an author of RFC4462?

I think SSHv2 extensions to allow the use of PKIX certificates for host
and/or user authentication (and key transport!) would have their place.

So do I, and I would very much like to see that work happen. However, to date, there hasn't been enough interest in doing the work, from people with cycles to do it, for it to actually get done. I hope no one misinterpreted me as saying that no one would be interested in having it; that is certainly not the case.

However, my concern is not about defining ways to use certificates with SSH, but about promulgating standards that require their use,

-- Jeff