Re: OpenSSH certified keys

Damien,

> For OpenSSH, revocation is implemented as a simple list
> of banned keys. Since keys are the entity that is revoked
> and not certificates, and because there are no wire-side
> changes require for revocation, I don't really see it as
> part of this certificate specification.

does this list of banned keys need to be manually deployed to each
server, or does OpenSSH support a protocol for retrieving this list
remotely?

If the list of banned keys must be manually deployed, then this sounds
worse than CRL. In this case, you're introducing a scheme which allows
new keys to be added centrally, but requires manually updating the
configuration of each server when keys are revoked.

On the other hand, if OpenSSH is capable of retrieving the list of
banned keys periodically, then the protocol for doing so is of interest
to other implementors as well. If one intends to interoperate with the
OpenSSH certificate format, then one should certainly support retrieving
the list of banned keys as well.

denis