Re: OpenSSH certified keys

Hi Jeffrey,

Damien Miller wrote:
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:
--On Wednesday, March 17, 2010 04:19:28 AM +1100 Damien Miller
<djm%mindrot.org@localhost>  wrote:

OpenSSH 5.4p1 introduced a novel, lightweight certificate format for
user and host keys. [SNIP]

That's unfortunate, because it's what the rest of the world already has as its
infrastructure.  By not supporting it, you force people to choose between
supporting your odd, proprietary, unproven certificate format or not getting
to use certificates at all.  Guess which one anyone with more than 5 machines
is going to choose?

OpenSSH would be a lot more useful if it supported the same authentication
mechanisms as the rest of the world.

Well, unfortunately we consider the additional complexity and attack surface
added by X.509 to be too great. That being said, there are well-maintained
3rd party patches to OpenSSH that support X.509 certificates if users have
a need that isn't supported by this mechanism.

I think that one of issue to previous drafts (O. Saarenmaa and J. Galbraith) as Damien point to this list was that ssh server has to parse asn.1. If I understand Damien most acceptable is solution is if ssh could read without to process(parse) certificate(s) data and to pass to external system for further processing.
Damien ?

The recent draft (K. Igoe and D. Stebile http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-igoe-secsh-x509v3-01 ) didn't resolve this issue.

[SNIP]

Roumen