SSH domain name misdirection

My aim is to set up a ssh2 client on a laptop and use it to access via
Internet an account located on a ssh server machine on a home LAN. I'm
running linux debian.

I can ssh from one machine to another within the LAN without any
problem:

        $ ssh user@hostname

However, my aim is to have a host on the LAN to be the server for the
client laptop when it is not on the LAN, but is remote. To set this up
and test it out, I've been trying to establish a ssh connection
between machines on my LAN by using the domain name:

	$ ssh user@domainname

The result is a permission denied message from the nameserver provided
by my web hosting service. It seems that the name server directs the
ssh login query to my website, which has the same domainname as my
machines, and the website does not recognize the password. Or at least
this is my guess.

How do I get the nameserver to direct login queries to my local router
so that it then redirects the query to the proper machine on the LAN.
I have the (dynamic, I assume) IP address for my router assigned to it
by my ISP. I've tried without luck:

  	$ ssh user@routerIPaddress

I don't here provide specific information because my question is a
general one about how one sets up a situation such as I describe.

Haines Brown