Re: "too many auth failures"?

I wrote that, not Simon :)

> You forgot the one that actually happens, based on extensive real-life
> experience with S/MIME and SSL:
>
> - The user bypasses the annoying security mechanisms in order to get on with
>   their job and avoid all the crap that their (from their perspective) broken
>   software is throwing at them.

How would they do that from the client side?

Anyways, I suspect that SSH keys are rarely stored on smartcards, so
this isn't a big problem _yet_.  I agree that it will be, ...

...but the most reasonable solution is to hand the smartcard and PIN to
an ssh-agent.  If the user's not willing even to type a PIN _once_, then
smartcards won't succeed.

Nico