Re: where are SFTP v0 - 2 defined?

I designed and implemented the original SFTP protocol for SSH 2.0 back around 1997. Sami Lehtinen did further development on it.

It was originally a proprietary protocol at SSH Communications Security (www.ssh.com), though source code was publicly available. It took a while before we wrote the draft and brought it to the IETF for standardization (seems to have been January 2001).

I don't remember the exact differences in versions 0, 1, and 2 (could be extracted from source in version control repositories), but the basic structure of the protocol was the same from the beginning. Version 3 was the first one for which a public draft existed. (SSH1, on the other hand, used a completely different protocol from rcp, which was a simple streaming protocol that among other things couldn't handle file names with spaces)

Best regards,

Tatu Ylonen