Re: adding IUTF8 to encoded terminal modes in SSH Protocol Assigned Numbers

David Madore <david+generic%madore.org@localhost> writes:

> This is why I'd like to try to get things moving towards creating a
> consensus around the assignment (ultimately to be added to section
> 4.5.2 of the RFC):
>
>          42    IUTF8       Assume input characters are UTF-8 encoded.
>
> matching the "iutf8" stty setting under Linux.

Great!

> Now I realize, of course, that one doesn't just add a number to the
> list.  But there seems to be a bootstrap problem: SSH implementors
> will not implement the feature unless it is normalized (see <URL:
>  >), and the feature cannot be normalized until there is consensus on
> its implementation.  How does one break this deadlock?

That's not required. Quoting earlier discussion:

: > So what needs to happen to get this standardized is for someone to write
: > an internet-draft documenting this extension and advance it as either a
: > working group item or as an individual submission.
:
: That remains the case today.  The registration policy for that registry
: is "IETF Consensus", which means that getting a new number assigned
: requires publishing an RFC.  For this sort of thing, that could happen
: relatively quickly, once someone writes an internet-draft.
:
: -- Jeff

Regards,