Re: adding IUTF8 to encoded terminal modes in SSH Protocol Assigned Numbers

> Now you have two different programs floating around on the Internet
> that claim to support the same protocol, but they don't agree on what
> that protocol means.

We _already_ have that.  I've seen (relatively) numerous embedded
devices that claim to speak ssh, including using port 22, but actually
speak a closely related protocol in which the private-part@domain
extensibility mechanism does not work the way it does in ssh.  (I
haven't probed the envelope of the issue enough to know whether it is
completely busted or busted only partially; I just know that when I
don't turn that stuff off, they ungracefully close the connection on me
when talking with moussh.)

> The answer is that we avoid that problem by having a central
> authority (IANA) whose job is to maintain a record of which codes
> mean what, and to avoid assigning or registering conflicting values.

Of course, even this much is still only advisory in most respects.  The
IETF, IANA, and related bodies have no ability, either de jure or de
facto, to prevent you, me, or anyone else from running not-quite-ssh
software such as you'd now get by checking out moussh's IUTF8 branch
(which now includes IUTF8 with value 42, as discussed upthread).

...this is just as well, actually, because ssh as specified is
basically unimplementable on many - most? - Unix variants.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse