Re: Binary packet protocol rethink

Peter Gutmann <pgut001%cs.auckland.ac.nz@localhost> writes:

>   You get traffic analysis resistance by, for example, breaking data into
>   fixed-length packets, using cover traffic, and messing with packet
>   timings, not by encrypting TLS headers.

One can do all of these with the current ssh wire protocol. It's even
straight-forward to do. But if we switch to clear text lengths (with no
other, deeper, changes to the protocol), it gets a lot more difficult.

So encrypted packet lengths aren't a solution, but they're a
*prerequisite* for the more serious counter measures.

Regards,