Re: Feedback on draft-ssh-ext-info-00

Damien Miller <djm%mindrot.org@localhost> writes:

> The problem is that, for a client to test whether rsa-sha2-256 is supported,
> it must make publickey userauth with an included signature. A
> signature free PK_OK style request won't do since the key blob just
> contains ssh-rsa and not the signature algorithm.

Hmm. This sounds like a serious breakage, and if that's the case, we
really ought to use a new algorithm name also in the key blob.

But is it really so? Looking at RFC 5252, we have

      byte      SSH_MSG_USERAUTH_REQUEST
      string    user name in ISO-10646 UTF-8 encoding [RFC3629]
      string    service name in US-ASCII
      string    "publickey"
      boolean   FALSE
      string    public key algorithm name
      string    public key blob

and

      byte      SSH_MSG_USERAUTH_PK_OK
      string    public key algorithm name from the request
      string    public key blob from the request

I'd expect the "public key algorithm name" to be "ssh-rsa-sha2-256", and
then it's fine if the string inside the keyblob is "ssh-rsa". There's no
ambiguity as to what type of signature is intended.

Regards,