Re: suggestion for new ssh maintenance wg

With regard to AEAD:

I think we should just make the following simple and clear statement:

MAC algorithms are secondary to encryption algorithms, and are evaluated only if the encryption algorithm is not AEAD. If an AEAD encryption algorithm is negotiated, the outcome of MAC negotiation is irrelevant and must be ignored. If no mutual MAC algorithms are available, this causes key exchange to fail if, and only if, the negotiated encryption algorithm is not AEAD.

I believe this is what aesXXX-gcm%openssh.com@localhost does, and is the behavior that makes most sense to me.

With regard to SFTP:

We may not have an agreement in what SFTP should be; but by necessity, we have an agreement in what it is.

I suggest we should simply do the minimum work possible to promote the following drafts to some type of RFC, and call it a day:

SFTP v3 - as implemented by OpenSSH and everyone who wants to interoperate with it
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-secsh-filexfer-04

SFTP v6 - implemented by many (perhaps most?) clients and servers
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-secsh-filexfer-13
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-galb-filexfer-extensions-00

This is the de facto SFTP as we have it. Implementers have to follow these drafts, so they might as well be RFCs.