Re: Client-side SSH_MSG_EXT_INFO: Use it or lose it principle!

(Removing [Curdle] from the subject because not posted there. Not sending to Mouse directly because his MX rejects Gmail.)

A brief comment on this. For now, it hope it's the last one.

If Mouse wants to carry the burden of telling people their implementations are broken, he is welcome to do so and I personally applaud him from the bench.

The more implementations that do so, the better. It would be especially great if MAJOR implementations did this.

I see two kinds of developers who are in a position to be purists, and to tell others to fix their brokenness. These are:

(a) Major implementations who can afford this due to their dominance.

(b) Minor implementations whose author does not give a f...

But the following type of developer cannot afford to be a purist:

(c) Minor implementations who need to answer support cases and depend on income from their users to feed their families.

As someone in category (c), I need to be compatible with ALL of the broken stuff. If some janky implementation has a problem, but it works with OpenSSH, then I have the problem, not the janky implementation, and not OpenSSH.

However, I highly encourage developers in categories (a) and (b) to be purists and reject brokenness, so that I, in category (c), need to implement fewer workarounds.

denis