Re: Terrapin

>> Why *does* EtM-OpenSSH send packet lengths in the clear?  [...]
> This is needed to find the location of the MAC at the end of the
> packet [...]

I suspect the question was more "why send lengths in the clear rather
than encrypted" than "why send lengths at all".

I've mentioned my own understanding of the reason on-list recently;
search for "SandP" in your back mail, or the archives if need be.
(Most briefly, my understanding is that it's to defeat an attack, but
in my opinion there are better defenses.)

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse