Re: PostgreSQL and libtool

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 11:59:00AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> That often works fine; the problem is that the patches to make
> PostgreSQL use libtool don't work right; PostgreSQL has its own fairly
> complicated shlib spport system and in this case that seems to work
> better than our force-libtool approach.  I don't think people are
> arguing that pkgsrc swapping in libtool is in general bad, but rather
> that in this particular case we're worse off.

Are we? How often did we have problems with the libtool build?
Compare the history of the Darwin rules in PostgreSQL itself. It was
broken a number of times, too. The most likely candidate for the current
OSX fallout is -bundle. The easiest way to fix this is figure out how
the plsql module is built in both cases (with and w/o libtool).

Joerg