qmail and spamdyke installation failure

The qmail package won't install because of a dependency on checkpassword which doesn't exist in the pkcsrc repository. However, checkpassword-pam does and can be used as a replacement.

I did a local add of checkpassword so I could get things installed. Then I installed spamdyke with checkpassword-pam authorization but it failed because all authorizations were being rejected.

I tracked it down to the checkpassword-pam module. On illumos, pam requires that you have PAM_PTY set before you can open a session. I reported this bug, but for those that have Illumos (Solaris, etc.), my fix was to set PAM_PTY to /dev/null just prior to the code that opens the session (in pam-support.c):

retval = pam_set_item(pamh, PAM_TTY, "/dev/null");
if (retval != PAM_SUCCESS) {
    fatal("Setting PAM_TTY failed: %s", pam_strerror(pamh, retval));
    return 1;
}

I didn't push that in as I'm not sure of it's effect on other architectures, we'll have to wait for the checkpassword-pam maintainer to bless the change first.

Gary