Re: terminal emulator

On Tue, 18 Jun 2024 at 08:07, Jonathan Perkin <jperkin%mnx.io@localhost> wrote:

> * On 2024-06-18 at 05:59 BST, George Georgalis wrote:
>
> >primary requirements:
> >24 bit color
> >copy on select (mouse/trackpad)
> >ascii
> >minimal, security first design (no built in networking)
> >Mac compatible
>
> I too gave up on iTerm a while back, before the AI nonsense.  I recently
> looked at WezTerm which I think supports all of these requirements, but
> unfortunately it uses Linux font libraries and so to my eyes looks
> absolutely terrible.
>
>    https://federate.me.uk/@jperkin/112574990612338660
>
> It's not (yet) in pkgsrc.
>
> For now I'm sticking with Terminal.app.  The only thing it's missing for
> my needs is 24-bit colour support.
>
> --
> Jonathan Perkin   -   mnx.io   -   pkgsrc.smartos.org
> Open Source Complete Cloud   www.tritondatacenter.com

I don't use a mac, so I can't say anything about font rendering there.
My new laptop runs W11 and Linux (the graphics chipset and the Wifare
beyond NetBSD's capabilities for now, so I run it only in a vm and for
occasional test from a usb drive. I have been using WezTerm ever since
I discovered it, and short of a few (perhaps graphics driver) hangs,
it has been working just fine for me. I also have obviously Windows
Terminal, as well as rio. I did some font rendering comparison between
these three under W11, to my eyes it's hard to find a substantial
difference, perhaps it's just W11 font rendering.

I guess it is worth trying https://github.com/raphamorim/rio - it is
an early days for this particular one, It appears to have osx support.
It is also written in rust. And, like wezterm, does not build under NetBSD.

Chavdar

--
----