Re: terminal emulator

On Sat, Jun 22, 2024 at 19:10 <gary%duzan.org@localhost> wrote:
   Alistair, you mentioned screen, so just in case you weren't aware, it
does have the "split" and "split -v" commands, which effectively tiles
within a single terminal window. I find switching among the splits to
be awkward, but it is still useful on occasion.

                             Gary Duzan

Thanks, Gary - yeah, I'm aware of the split screen, and use it for grouping (remote) irc/chat sessions using a nested screen running on a remote host -- mainly to isolate myself from network/power glitches. My fingers have got used to the key sequences for switching, so it's not too bad. I have learned not to use any more than 2 screens at a time, as my brain can't handle the number of escape characters required to pass through certain keystrokes. Similar to running a vi session with a default tmux config, and trying to scroll backwards a page.

I've not used emacs as a screen replacement, don't really have any plans to do so either

And finally, I'd like to thank people who have contributed to this thread (and the other color-based one) - I've learned so much from these interactions, and so something good has come out of this AI debacle

It's also nice to know I'm not alone in my struggles :)

Best,
Alistair