Re: 2024Q2; version 22 is available for lang/mercury

Van Ly <van.ly%sdf.org@localhost> writes:

> The build process fetches version 14 where the latest version 22 is
> available.

Some number packages are not up to date relative to upstream.  Often
that is because no one was interested enough to notice and do it.
Sometimes it is because newer upstream versions are troubled.

We encourage users to participate in improving pkgsrc.  You are welcome
to do 99% of the work; pretty much the only things you can't do as not a
TNF member ("not a NetBSD/pkgsrc developer") are:

  - actually write changes to the source tree
  - produce binary package sets for hosting on ftp.netbsd.org

You can figure out the changes that are needed, make them privately and
test them, and make them available to others.

Our preferred method to do this is pkgsrc-wip, where you can get an
account pretty much just by asking.  This mechanism allows others to
improve what you've done and to review it more easily.  And, to hoist
those changes to pkgsrc proper when they are ready.

https://www.pkgsrc.org/wip/
https://www.pkgsrc.org/wip/users/

All that said, it is fair to report bugs and outdated packages, but that
is far less effective than fixing them :-)

(Also your email is getting wrapped by your mail client, which makes it
difficult to read.)