Re: 2024Q2; uemacs-4.0nb2 drops core on NetBSD-10

Thanking for taking the trouble to look at this bug which you've
reproduced.

I'm not that familiar with the 10.0-stable release and pkgsrc.

The hardware is indicated as follows:

  $ uname -mprs
    NetBSD 10.0 amd64 x86_64

First, I installed the binary package from:

 --> https://cdn.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/$arch/10.0_2024Q1/All
 --> https://cdn.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/$arch/10.0_2023Q4/All
 --> https://cdn.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/$arch/10.0/All

and uemacs would fail as described.

Second, I built the package locally with non-default settings after
calling, cvs up -A, when the pkgsrc freeze was posted.  Removed the
downloaded pkgsrc binary, installed the local build, and experienced the
uemacs failure.

sysctl.conf has the lines:

   ddb.onpanic?=0
   kern.defcorename=/tmp/%n.core

The non-default settings you see, I assembled from posts on bsd related
forums.  Is there a page documenting recommended defaults?  The
impression I get is there's bit entropy in the documentation and it is a
diy ordeal.

I have three compilers installed:

 - gcc (nb3 20231008) 10.5.0 from netbsd-10 base
 - gcc (GCC) 12.3.0 from pkgsrc
 - gcc (GCC) 13.2.0 from pkgsrc

Since a working uemacs is observed on netbsd-current, I suppose in time
the build infrastructure will sync and I should be able to fetch a
working binary or build locally sticking to the defaults.

Thanks again, I hope this information is of use.

--
vl