Re: wip patch for using external git command

> Aleksey Cheusov <vle%gmx.net@localhost> writes:

 >>> Why is this not just an instance of the tools platform finding and
 >>> accepting a native tool, rather than patching something not to use the
 >>> tools framework?   It seems like the change is in the wrong place.
 >>
 >> I've added support for tool "git" and patch for wip. See attachments.

> This seems reasonable to me.  I would really like to hear from others
> especially those more familiar with the tools framework.  While I have
> an opinion that tools-type use should use it, I've never added a tool.

> Not sure it's a good idea to worry about this, but I wonder how we
> decide what version is good enough and document that, and how we deal
> with that in tools.${PLATFORM}.  I guess as it stands, if macOS or a
> GNU/Linux system has git, it's good enough, and it seems pretty likely
> that for what git-package wants, that will be ok.

Tools framework provides this functionality. See, for example,
mk/tools/bison.mk file where BISON_REQD variable is defined with
appropriate checks for version.

As of now I don't see any application for GIT_REQD but we can easily
implement it as soon as it is required.

> Have you run this code on NetBSD, macOS, linux?

Yes. All these systems were tested.