Re: firefox runs for one user, not another

On Tue, Jul 02, 2024 at 03:53:26PM +0000, Steve Blinkhorn wrote:
> I have an irritasting problem with firefox 120.0.1.  It runs fine when
> I'm logged in as myself, but fails to start up when I use any other
> login account.  The specific need is to run wearing my accounting hat
> in software that periodically needs to re-authorise with tax
> authorities.  Thjis has worked in the past, but probably with an
> earlier version of firefox - the need only comes around every couple of
> years.
>
> At startup I get the NetBSDF workaround message, then:
>
> ATTENTION: default value of option mesa_glthread overridden by environment.
>
> thene either  "channel error" or "console error ({}), usually but not
> always after the first glimmerings of an X window that looks as if its
> going to be a browser window, that then goes away.
>
> Is there some sort of setup I should be doing?

try the following options for firefox:

--no-remote --ProfileManager

--no-remote disables use of d-bus and will cause firefox to ignore any
existing firefox processes that are running.

--ProfileManager lets you start from a fresh profile.

check the permissions on /dev/dri to make sure your user accounts have
permissions to read+write from the devices there.