Revisiting native rust

Hello,

Out of curiosity, what is the background with regard to not supporting "native" rust? Is it purely due to versioning problems (pkgsrc needs to enforce a strict version) or is it related to the actual building process (compiling/linking needing to be patched in some manner)?

   If it the former, has anyone looked into version pinning?

The rust commands support a +<version> argument to force a specific version.

We built our own simple package management system for cross-compiling packages for an embedded platform. In its configuration file one specifies a RUST_VERSION environment variable, which is passed to cargo:

   cargo +1.70.1 build --target=armv7-unknown-linux-gnueabihf

   Has this already been considered (and rejected)?

--
Kind Regards,
Jan