Re: mktool support for fetch

* On 2024-08-24 at 15:16 CEST, Greg Troxel wrote:

I know this is said to be optional.  But I don't have confidence that it
will stay that way, and suspect we'll sooner or later get to "you just
need to use the rust version; your platform is deficient".  Avoiding
that will mean that we'll have to prohibit mktool from having features
not in the base pkgsrc/mk, being limited to faster implementations, with
the other ones still being usable.  That's how it has been framed, but I
am very skeptical that this will last.

I'm absolutely fine with not adding it, FWIW. As the prominent advocate for pkgsrc portability, I would be the first to hand in my commit bit if we started mandating Rust support, and that certainly would never ever come from me.

I'll keep it in TritonDataCenter/pkgsrc. There is no shortage of patches there that folks aren't keen on ;-)

--
Jonathan Perkin   -   mnx.io   -   pkgsrc.smartos.org
Open Source Complete Cloud   www.tritondatacenter.com