Re: mktool support for fetch

* On 2024-08-25 at 18:11 CEST, Reinoud Zandijk wrote:

On Mon, Aug 19, 2024 at 07:52:23PM +0200, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
On my vacation I've continued to work on mktool, and have now implemented a
threaded fetch client that can significantly improve download speeds,
especially when packages have multiple distfiles.

This looks promising only why did you write it in Rust?

I don't really want to go off topic, so this will be my only reply to this part of the thread.

I'm the wrong side of 45. I have zero interest in wasting any time that I might have left writing C from scratch. Writing Rust is pure joy. I can go from an idea to a working, tested, robust, published and packaged implementation in the time it would take me to even begin the first few lines of a C version. The tooling is beautiful, makes programming fun, and the end result usually outperforms the equivalent C. Once it builds I know it will run perfectly on all of the platforms I care about, and I don't have to go around manually testing on them to find all of the various platform and compiler quirks that will break it.

If a C/OpenMP implementation shouldn't be that hard, I look forward to someone implementing it! If all I've done is inspire someone else to work on that then my work here is done. Though I wouldn't like to comment on the chances that OpenMP works on all 23 pkgsrc platforms and architectures.

--
Jonathan Perkin   -   mnx.io   -   pkgsrc.smartos.org
Open Source Complete Cloud   www.tritondatacenter.com