Re: python dependencies not present...

Hej Greg,

> Am 17.09.2024 um 19:01 schrieb Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost>:
>
> oskar%fessel.org@localhost writes:
>
>> Running make package nevertheless yielded some unexpected results.  It >> seems that mailman3 does not install the required python - on this >> system python3.11 was the default until 5 minutes ago.
>> When running make in the py312-flufl.testing directory, things work as >> expected, and paython 3.12 is build.
>> What can be the cause of this behaviour?
[…]
> Second, you need to have a clean environment.  That means:
>  rm -rf */*/work # and also any WRKOBJDIR

Seems that I did not do that one.  Everything else you listed is what I usually do since you sent this to the list years ago.  But thaks for the friendly reminder ;-)
[…]
> Finally, you can then try to build mailman3.
>
> Beware that pkg_chk, and hence pkg_rr, deals badly with python versions
> that are not the default.  If the default changes, then 1) it's really
> helpful to pkgin ar since it gets rid of many and 2) you need to for
> each one you want, build the py312 version and rm the py311 version.
> And then pkgin ar again.  Some will fail because they install
> unversioned files, and you can rm the old before installing the new.
> It's messy; you may or may not find learning pbulk easier.
>
> You don't have to take my advice; the license grants you the freedom
> to do whatever you want :-) But I think you'll have much less trouble
> if you follow it.
>
>> WARNING: Package version py311-flufl.testing-0.7nb1 in /var/pbulk/devel/py-flufl.testing/work
>
> This is a clue that you have leftover work directories.

That clue i overlooked as not relevant since the next lines indicate this was taken care of:

WARNING: Cleaning and rebuilding py312-flufl.testing-0.7nb1...
===> Cleaning for py312-flufl.testing-0.7nb1
===> Skipping vulnerability checks.
[…]
===> Overriding tools for py312-flufl.testing-0.7nb1
===> Extracting for py312-flufl.testing-0.7nb1
===> Patching for py312-flufl.testing-0.7nb1
===> Creating toolchain wrappers for py312-flufl.testing-0.7nb1
ERROR: python312>=3.12 python312>=3.12.0 is not installed; can't buildlink files.
*** Error code 1

Which obviously was a misjudgement.  The mk system prints out it cleans and rebuilds the dependency but in reality this semms not what it actually is doing.  It simply did not check the dependencies again, so it failed.
While I can live with working around some things by cleaning up before doing things.  It just looks wrong to me to do what the computer could do ;-)

Cheers
	Oskar