Re: OpenSSH/scp ->> F-Secure SSH server Problems

On Tue, 13 Mar 2001, Ken Hornstein wrote:

> >Because while FTP may be "securable" using these methods, the fact is that
> >it has not actually been secured this way in real life.
>
> I (and 5000 other people I know) use GSSAPI authenticated ftp every day
> for real work.
>
> Sure, I believe that ssh easily has more users, but just because you don't
> use it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Perhaps you received a garbled or incomplete version of the message I
posted.  I did not claim that GSSAPI-secured FTP doesn't exist; in fact,
if you read past that first sentence which you quoted out of context, I
specifically said that it and other secured FTP implementations exist and
have been around for a while.  They have their users, especially within
specific, controlled communities.  They have not, however, achieved
widespread use in the Internet in general, whereas SSH has a good start at
that and seems quite likely to be ubiquitous shortly.  That was all I
said, and all I meant.

--
  Richard Silverman
  slade%shore.net@localhost