Re: draft minutes from meeting at ietf50..

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001, Markus Friedl wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 21, 2001 at 03:50:10PM +0900, Tom Holroyd wrote:
> > On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Niels Provos wrote:
> >
> > > An adversary can listen to SSH network traffic to determine the length
> > > of authentication passwords typed during login and interactive shell
> > > sessions [B].
> >
> > Of course SRP authentication fixes that...  The SRP shared secret can also
> > be used to trigger a key-reexchange, which makes shorter DH parameters
> > less of a problem.
>
> i don't see how SRP makes traffic analysis harder.
>
> could you please provide details.

The SRP password is never sent over the network, only some random bignums
of known length, and some hashes, also of known length.  So even if you
can observe traffic you can't get the length of the password/phrase.

OTOH, if you ssh to host A, and then from host A ssh to host B, your
password will be sent over the (encrypted) link from your client to A, so
that may leak password length information.  That can be fixed by running
ssh from your client and either connecting directly to B, or if that's not
possible, forwarding the connection through A (instead of running ssh on
A).

Dr. Tom Holroyd
"I am, as I said, inspired by the biological phenomena in which
chemical forces are used in repetitious fashion to produce all
kinds of weird effects (one of which is the author)."
	-- Richard Feynman, _There's Plenty of Room at the Bottom_