Re: draft minutes from meeting at ietf50..

Tom,

I suppose that the question should be

 Q: How could the leakage of information in interactive sessions be
    made negligible?

If such an improvement exists then (interesting) traffic analysis
becomes impossible as a consequence.

My answer would currently be: there is no such (practical)
improvement. The only robust improvement that I know would require
non-negligible increase in traffic.

Naturally this suggests that the problem is not the protocol. Infact,
SRP is not a protocol fix---it fixes only those applications(*) that
are aware of this feature. Similar effect would be obtained by having
a specific password packet that holds the password in its entirety,
rather than sending it in pieces.

(*) I consider everything above the transportation layer as an
    "application" of the protocol. Sorry for abuse of terminology.

As you suggest it is possible by careful use and implementation of the
applications to make sure that important information is not leaked.

Mika Kojo
SSH Communications Security Corp