Re: des-cbc cipher

At 17:50 28/11/01, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:
>On this issue, it looks like we have consensus that:
>
>  - there should be no mention of a des-cbc algorithm in the spec.
>
>  - implementations should treat algorithms they don't know about the
>same as they treat algorithms they've been told not to use.

Pardon ?

I haven't seen this thread in some while.  I really disagree with the
first conclusion.  DES-CBC is widely deployed with SSHv2 right now,
so it ought to be mentioned.  That way a new implementer has a good
chance of interoperating with the installed base.  Paranoid folks should
kindly note well that I'm not saying ANYTHING about what should be the
recommended or default algorithm used with SSHv2.

Yours,

Ran
rja%inet.org@localhost