Re: des-cbc cipher

At 21:50 28/11/01, Damien Miller wrote:
>On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, RJ Atkinson wrote:
>
>>         Kindly put the shoe on the other foot for a moment.
>> What problem is solved by omitting the DES-CBC information
>> from the drafts ?  Are we saving bytes on a disk or what ?

Damian,

        Kindly answer the question posed.  Are we saving bytes ?
Or is your goal to make it impossible for folks to use DES-CBC
because you think you know more than they do about their situation
and threat environment ?

        And by the way, all algorithms are insecure.  And the low-cost
attacks on SSHv2 aren't brute force and don't vary with the algorithm
in use (try reading Ross Anderson's paper on "Why Cryptosystems Fail"
if any of this seems confusing).

Ran