Re: des-cbc cipher

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 10:14:03AM -0500, RJ Atkinson wrote:
> At 03:43 29/11/01, Markus Friedl wrote:
> >However, if you need to have DES-CBC, write a document,
> >use "des-cbc%inet.org@localhost" and everything will be fine.
>
>         Regrettably, that doesn't help at all -- because it doesn't document
> how to implement such that one can interoperate with the installed base
> of DES-CBC implementations of SSHv2.  There are multiple such
> implementations and an installed base of users.

It's the plain fault of the folks who chose to name their DES-CBC
implementation "des-cbc" instead of "des-cbc%ssh.com@localhost" that this situation
exists.  Why should we break the standard just for them?  Should we do so
in the future any time an implementation that's widely used violates any
detail of any standard?

Thor