Re: Section 3.2 of secsh-auth-kbdinteract-01

On Thursday, January 17, 2002, at 08:18  PM, Frank Cusack wrote:

On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 11:19:32AM +0100, Martin Forssen wrote:
On 18 Dec, Darren Moffat wrote:
Section 3.2:

  The server SHOULD limit the length of the name and prompt fields to
  30 characters.  No restrictions are placed on the instruction
field.

30 characters could be too little.

 "sjl%foobar.internal.fi.ssh.com@localhost's passcode for SecurID auth:"

especially considering section 3.3 considerations

Agreed where did 30 come from ? (I'll take a wild guess here and
assume it is the number of chars that can be displayed on the screen
of a PalmPilot using the default font? (I checked ;-))

I think I already have countered this example, ut I just wanted to
comment on the number 30. The number 30 is just an arbitrary number and
I am not aware of any systems which actually enforces those limits.

30 does seem an odd number[1].  I don't recall the exact device (probably
Palm) but I do believe it was in fact based on some minimal screen width
limitation.  The reason the name and prompt fields were limited is b/c
they are expected to be printed on a single line.

IMHO, either the advice "SHOULD be limited to 30 characters" ought to be
deleted xor that should be edited to a much more reasonable value than 30.
Given that most systems, even a Palm, can wrap lines, it isn't clear to me
that any limit is needed.  And "user@domain" strings can be VERY long.
I regularly see long strings (not least since the domain at my office is:
va.extremenetworks.com, with a hostname and username being prepended to that
for SSH purposes :-)

Ran