Re: message lang tags verse SSH_MSG_KEXINIT

On 17 Jan, Frank Cusack wrote:
> Another old message related to the keyboard-interactive draft.
> (I believe the first occurence of a langauge tag was in that draft.)
>
> On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 09:49:47PM -0500, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:
>> Even if the peers negotiated that all messages will be in, say,
>> martian, the server might not have translations for all possible
>> messages, and might need to send some messages in a "default"
>> language, in which case it should be tagged as such so it gets
>> displayed appropriately (e.g., not using martian letters).
>
> But isn't that impossible with UTF-8 encodings?  The client cannot
> display the wrong letters (although it may not be able to display the
> letters at all).  I am not that familiar with multi-byte encodings,
> but that is my understanding.  Please clarify.

No, for some people utf-8 is not enough. Utf-8 did unify a number of
code-points in certain asian-languages, that is the letters are the same
but the expected glyphs are different. Therefore you must know which
language it is to be able to display it correctly.

Actually it seems as if rfc2277 (section 4.2) mandates the current
behavior.

	/MaF