Extensions to SSH in order to facilitate telnet replacement.

In the process of trying to eliminate telnet from customer networks, I have
encountered  two hurdles, one major and one minor.

A number of customers continue  to use telnet and terminal servers to
provide legacy RS-232 port access to devices such  Sun servers, Cisco
routers and modems.  Telnet provides two useful functions through the IAC
mechanism:

1) Presentation of an out of band BREAK signal (IAC 243)  as in RFC854 [This
is important]
2) Manipulation of RS-232 parameters (speed, parity, flowcontrol state) by
IAC commands (RFC2217) [Less important]

It seems like SSH would be well suited to handle these using the well
designed negotiation mechanisms within the protocol, and I was wondering if
anybody has already tackled this problem.  If not, I welcome suggestions
about the most elegant way to handle it within the spirit of the SSH
protocol.