Re: Specifying file names in SSH File Transfer Protocol

At 09:56 AM 3/8/2002, Derek Fawcus wrote:
On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 04:44:34PM +0000, Simon Tatham wrote:
> Richard Whalen  <Whalenr%process.com@localhost> wrote:
> > A file name is composed of a sequence of strings.  The first string
> > specifies the file system.  The last string specifies the file name.  The
> > intermediate strings specify each element of the directory path. This will
> > allow each system to compose the appropriate syntax by concatenating the
> > strings with the appropriate separators.
>
> It isn't entirely clear what you mean by `each system'.

I took him as meaning the client will take the effort to translate
pathnames it sends into this format.  So that where it currently
sends 'string pathname',  that string will itself be composed of
a set of strings.

Therefore we have a common over the wire format for pathnames which
all clients have to translate into,  and all server translate from.

(As I recall pathnames aren't sent from server to client,  just filenames)

Perhaps this is a job for an ASN.1 representation of a complete filename?

------
| Dan O'Reilly                  |                                       |
| Principal Engineer            |  "Why should I care about posterity?  |
| Process Software              |   What's posterity ever done for me?" |
| http://www.process.com        |                    -- Groucho Marx    |