Re: WG LAST CALL: SECSH Public Key File Format

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 04:25:50AM +0000, Derek Fawcus wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 06:51:41PM -0500, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:
> > This is the start of a working group LAST CALL on:
> >
> > 	draft-ietf-secsh-publickeyfile-02.txt
> > 		SECSH Public Key File Format
> >
> > Last Call on this document expires in three weeks, on 3 April 2002
> > (I'm giving it an extra week due to the upcoming IETF week).
> >
> > Send comments on the document to ietf-ssh%netbsd.org@localhost
> >
> > Discussion question for the working group: Should this be advanced as
> > Informational or as a Standards Track document?  It could go either
> > way -- it's not a "wire protocol" per se but it does describe a blob
> > of data which can be exchanged (out of band) between implementations.
>
> I'd say Informational.

I'd lean that way as well.

How many file formats are documented as parts of the standards
track?  Even HTML is only done by the W3C, not the IETF.  The only
example I know of is the DNS zone file format in 1034/5 and various
updates, and recent traffic on namedroppers has expressed regret
over that decision.

--
David Terrell   | "If I had a nickel for every time I've seen a Usenet poster
Nebcorp PM      | slip in an ostensibly casual reference to how much smarter