Re: SFTP File open modes

How many well-known and often utilized ways of encoding ASCII text files
are there (answer: two)? Is an ASCII mode as you suggest likely to be
useful? Or do we want a mode for UTF-8 and UTF-16, EBCEDIC, and so on?

Perhaps it would be best to add an operation by which the client can ask
the server for a given file's content type and encoding. The server's
response should indicate whether it knows, whether it knows for certain
and, if it knows at all, what the content type is.

All encoding conversions though should be left to the client though.

IMHO. Cheers,

Nico

On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 02:36:06PM -0500, Richard Whalen wrote:
> The current specification of SFTP states that files are always opened in
> "binary" mode - no translations between different character sets and newline
> encodings.

[...]