RE: Additional thoughts on text transfers

There is no canonical representation for a text file specified in SFTP -
that is the problem.

You are suggesting that our implementation implicitly translate files stored
on it to a "canonical representation", so that the files may be read on a
Windows/Unix/whatever system.  We have put that functionality in our
implementation, but there are limitations - if it is set up to do the
translation, you lose the option of not getting the translation for a file
that is translatable.  There would be greater utility if the method could be
chosen through the protocol, rather than through setting configuration
variables.