Re: solving the SFTP text mode issue

> I don't think the MacOS X problem can be solved even
> on the server side, because while the server can
> determine who create the file (or at list a 4 byte
> tag representing the creator), it can't know what the
> creator uses for new-line.  I'd love to be wrong
> on this, and learn that MaxOS X stores an attribute
> that tells what the newline convention is.

As far as I know, there's no global convention for storing
end-of-line representation. A counter-examples of sorts, is
BBedit, which will default to any of the big-three end-of-line
representations, as configured, and optionally store that
fact in an application-specific resource.

Ugly hacks might be required to determine end-of-line representation
(or character encoding, or text vs. binary files) in the general case.

(It seems to be that this is one more reason to keep any ugly hacks
on the platform where the problem exists, (rather put lots of varients
into a wire protocol for a text mode) and to make support for a text mode
transfer optional.)

--
    Albert Lunde          Albert-Lunde%northwestern.edu@localhost (new address)
                          Albert-Lunde%nwu.edu@localhost (old address)