Re: terminal server draft

Are you referring to reverse terminal servers?

  network client to serial port with mode

if so, you need to provide support equivalent to RFC 2217

> I think I'm on tap for a terminal server draft
> (I think this is Console Server options in the
> last WG status message.)
>
> I wrote something, but the more I thought about it,
> the more I realized I didn't have a clue what I was
> supposed to be writing.  This was naturally the cause
> for some consternation and dismay on my part and also
> the cause of a missing draft :-)
>
> So, here is my understanding of the way a terminal server
> works.
>
> You connect to it using telnet / SSH1 / SSH2.  Then,
> using TS's command line interface, you configure a
> given port and then connect to it.
>
> If this is accurate, what draft do we need?
>
> Now, there might be another draft that could be written,
> that would allow the client and server to communicate
> about changes in the tty configuration after pty
> creation.
>
> For example:
>
> server->client: I just entered raw mode
> server->client: I just entered line mode
> server->client: Echo was turned off
> client->server: Change the tty type to vt220
> client->server: Change the erase character to 'del'
>
> The client might use the raw mode / line mode / echo mode
> to decide to use a local line mode buffer that would
> perfrom better under high latency situations (satellite link)
> Or to enchance security by buffering characters in
> no-echo/line mode until a newline is sent.
>
> But, this is not the terminal server draft :-)
>
> So, the big question is, what is the terminal server draft
> suppose to do?
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Joseph

 Jeffrey Altman * Sr.Software Designer     Kermit 95 2.0 GUI available now!!!
 The Kermit Project @ Columbia University  SSH, Secure Telnet, Secure FTP, HTTP
 http://www.kermit-project.org/            Secured with MIT Kerberos, SRP, and
 kermit-support%columbia.edu@localhost               OpenSSL.