Re: terminal server draft

> I think I'm on tap for a terminal server draft
> (I think this is Console Server options in the
> last WG status message.)

I'm extremely interested in helping 8-)  You may want to look at
www.conserver.com/consoles for ideas.

> You connect to it using telnet / SSH1 / SSH2.  Then,
> using TS's command line interface, you configure a
> given port and then connect to it.
>
> If this is accurate, what draft do we need?

- Control of the attributes of the serial port a-la RFC 2217
- Ability to pass a BREAK signal (similar to telnet IAC break)
- EOL/Duplex/Echo handling (How is that handled today?)

> Now, there might be another draft that could be written,
> that would allow the client and server to communicate
> about changes in the tty configuration after pty
> creation.
>
> For example:
>
> server->client: I just entered raw mode
> server->client: I just entered line mode
> server->client: Echo was turned off
> client->server: Change the tty type to vt220
> client->server: Change the erase character to 'del'
>
> The client might use the raw mode / line mode / echo mode
> to decide to use a local line mode buffer that would
> perfrom better under high latency situations (satellite link)
> Or to enchance security by buffering characters in
> no-echo/line mode until a newline is sent.
>
> But, this is not the terminal server draft :-)
>
> So, the big question is, what is the terminal server draft
> suppose to do?

Minimally break handling and RFC2217.