Re: ctime vs. Create Time

On Monday, Oct 7, 2002, at 14:05 America/Montreal, Joseph Galbraith wrote:
What I'm really aiming for is "model the most commonly available
and used filesystem features relating to dates."

The right target is to be consistent with other IETF standards
(e.g. NFS).  Those standards are based upon POSIX.1 timestamps,
not proprietary (e.g. Microsoft, VMS) timestamps.

Both Windows and VMS store creation dates.  Windows and unix
optionally store acces time, but it is commonly disabled for
performance.  (I think VMS also can record access time,
but usually does not.)

UNIX does not commonly disable access time.  Windows varies
with which flavour of which version of which kind of Windows
one has.  As noted above, in an IETF standards context the
right target is to be compliant with (one of the) POSIX.1 timestamps.

Ran